The Chanting of the Mantra “Om”.
I have written about the Crystal Cleansing Bowl that produces an Om like a sound that does the cleansing and blessings of stones and objects. ( Om is a mantra and mystical sound of Hindu origin, sacred and important in various Dharma religions such as Hinduism, Buddhism, Sikhism, and Jainism. It is a preamble to many well-known mantras such as “Om Ah Hum”, “Om Mani Padme Hum” or “Om Shivaya Namaha”.
I have been practicing the Om mantra for nearly thirty years and recognize its many positive effects. During my multiple sessions of meditation, I have grown to realize that if you still your mind absolutely you could tap into the great universe and discern a continuous omnipotent Om sound – the song of the Universe. By practicing chanting the Om, you could attain a level eventually where your personally vocalized Om could connect and resonate with this Universal Om, thereby enhancing your use of this all-powerful root syllabus mantra. This is akin to the principle of sympathetic resonance.
I shall now discuss some of the benefits of the OM Mantra: –
- Chanting of OM Mantra purifies the environment around the chanter and produces positive vibrations. Not only I could produce the Om sound using the crystal singing bowl but I could also chant it to cleanse the surroundings and keep negative energy and spirits at bay.
- It cleanses your aura. I use Om in conjunction with other mantras to cleanse aura during my consultation practice. In one of the practice, I silently chant om and circulate my intention to move the energy of my clients from back to front to identify areas of energy blockage and attempt to dissolve the obstruction.
- It takes you to alpha level, a meditational state which gives you deep relaxation. Yes, Om has a definitive effect to help us get into proper meditation and attain that calmness and stillness state of mind, which also brings about good relaxation. I have been teaching an ”Om Ah Hum” meditation to my students with good results.
- Your concentration increases when you chant this universal hymn. When I perform any cleansing or blessing services, chanting Om repeatedly really prepares me for deep concentration. Normally, I would chant the Om 18 or 27 times before I commence the actual spiritual work.
- The ॐ chanting removes the toxin from your body. It gives you better immunity and self-healing power. As I have indicated, I use Om to circulate and cleanse the energy body.
- The ॐ chanting improves your voice and gives a strength to vocal cord and muscles during old age. Through the constant chanting of Om, I have found not only my reciting of other mantras more effective but it also does improve my quality of voice and my singing ability.
- Om Mantra has a cardiovascular benefit too which keeps blood pressure normal. It is effective only if you could attain the level of chanting the mantra and letting it vibrate your whole body. The humming of Om – lets it reverberate inside your rib cage, vibrating your heart, lung and all the organs and viscera.
- It helps in keeping your emotions controlled and thus by putting a control over emotions and leads you to excel in life. So whenever you have the impulse of getting into anger or rage, instead of counting numbers, you just bellow the Om mantra that will keep you calm
- It regular chanting helps in taking you on a spiritual journey and which will only result if it is done daily for a longer period of time. Yes, Om can be practiced by chanting aloud or silently whenever you find the time, and over the period of time will definitely elevate your spiritual attainment.
- And yes it’s even my experience that Om cleanses your skin and gives a sunny glow on your face when you chant OM regularly. Part of my consultation services include the cleansing and purifying the pores of the skin especially the facial area, and I quietly use Om to help will the opening and closing of the skin pores of my clients, followed by my applying of energy to polish for the final glow and shine on the face. Sing Om as if all your skin pores are emitting the Om in unison, like an 84,000 musical instruments orchestra…It takes years to practice but it is never late to start doing it (Practice along with an ancient Chinese Qi-gong method called pores breathing or womb breathing)
- The ॐ chanting produces a vibration and sound which is felt in your vocal cord and sinus. Done properly, it vibrates your ears, eyes, nose, and mouth and cleanses and open up these outlets which the Chinese TCM called Seven Opening (七竅）。 It activates skin pores which in turn helps in removal of sinus problems gradually and if done in complete faith.
- When you tend to chant it regularly you start feeling stronger. It is true by being familiar with the chanting of Om, you feel protected all the time and no longer afraid of darkness or negative environment. Even a picture of OM purifies the environment around. When you encounter ghosts or negative spirits, the confident chanting of Om will more than sufficient to protect you. I use the picture of ॐ Om as a talisman to ward off negative energy and bring about positive vibration.
- It is proved that chanting this Mantra improvises quality of water. So before drinking, if OM is chanted it puts water crystal in most beautiful sequence, which affects the body beautifully.
AUM and OM
“In Sanskrit, the sound “O” is a diphthong spelled “AU”. A diphthong is the blending of two vowel sounds where both are normally heard and make a gliding sound. As a result, the difference between OM and AUM is simply one of transliteration.”
By Anthony Leong）